Thursday, April 17, 2008

Systemania

Now that everyone in my nuclear family has been wished a Happy Birthday, I can get back to writing some more about what's going on here in Merry Ole England...
On Monday, my classmates and I are having a mid-term exhibition that is a dry run for our big exhibition in December. It's called Systemania.

Here's our brief:
"Find an existing man-made system, investigate the reason behind its existence and explore the possibilities of redesigning it to serve a new purpose utilizing (however vaguely) the principle of the ‘rhizome theory’ [this was explained earlier in the brief, but it's based on Deleuze & Guattari's theory of Recombinant Poetics]. Once you are clear about the purpose that you want your system to serve make it (or allow it to) evolve. Take it to the next step, interfere with it, or completely destroy, or reconstruct it, if necessary but let it grow and evolve of its own volition where possible."

Our group decided to focus on interfering with Color and Music systems since they both are based on circles (the Color Wheel and the Circle of Fifths). I'll explain more later as I am up to my eyeballs in artifact (sorry, that's "artefact" over here) iterations and exhibition logistics.

No comments: