Sunday, February 24, 2008

PR Shmee R

Our latest brief for school is a strange one. We are supposed to think of ways to re-invigorate a dance company that has recently lost its funding from the Arts Council of England. This particular dance company was founded (and is directed) by one of our tutors (who, frankly, is too busy dealing with the situation of her company to give a crap about tutoring for this course...don't get me wrong...I feel for her, but for her own good, and for the good of the course, the course director should replace her). Sticky situation, eh? I've been assigned to the PR group. While this is a serious situation and is supposed to be treated as such, it's difficult to do that when you only have 2 weeks to research and present your proposals. If we are supposed to treat this like it's real, then we feel like we should be given time to research properly. We all know the company is going to fold in its current form, so why pretend that our assignment is urgent? A room full of Harvard MBAs couldn't propose a proper business plan in 2 weeks. And as part of the PR group, it's difficult to decide whether or not we should promote the company as it is or promote the company-to-be (which is conceptual, and somewhat different for each group). Every group is entirely frustrated with the assignment, but despite this, we've all been working our asses off. Hopefully, the presentations won't be a train wreck because the external examiners are coming on Monday, and I wouldn't want these presentations to reflect poorly on the course as a whole because I think the course as a whole is great. This assignment, however, is asinine. Oh, well. You win some, you lose some. The good part is that I'm looking forward to a different group presentation I have on Wednesday. I'll write more about that one later.

On another note, a classmate of mine has taken to photographing me (and others, but mostly me) while I'm eating. Most of the shots are far from flattering, but this one's okay:

That's all for now. More soon...

No comments: